Understanding the Bankruptcy Process
Rancho Cucamonga Bankruptcy Attorneys
The bankruptcy process may seem overwhelming at first, but with the guidance of Atlantis Law, LLP, bankruptcy will seem much less intimidating. The first step in the bankruptcy process is determining whether
Chapter 7 or
Chapter 13 bankruptcy is right for you.
The team at Atlantis Law, LLP can help you evaluate your finances to see which type will work for you. In order to file for Chapter 7, you must complete a means test and meet the eligibility requirements. If you are ineligible to file for Chapter 7, you can still seek bankruptcy relief through Chapter 13.
In most cases, the bankruptcy process involves:
- Gather all of your financial information for the previous two years. You will need to itemize your income and expenses, and your assets and liabilities.
- Your attorney will determine which assets will be exempt from seizure or liquidation.
- If you are filing for Chapter 13 bankruptcy, you will need to submit your proposed repayment plan.
- Your attorney will submit your bankruptcy petition to the bankruptcy court.
- Once the petition is filed, a "stay" is imposed on all collection actions. Creditors cannot contact you and they must cease all collection actions. Foreclosure proceedings on your home will also be halted.
- You will attend a hearing at the bankruptcy court.
- If the court accepts your Chapter 7 bankruptcy petition, you will be discharged from most of your unsecured debts.
- If you filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy, you will pay back the debts as outlined in your court-approved repayment plan. When the terms of the repayment plan have been met, you will be discharged of any remaining unsecured debts.
This brief overview is not enough to cover the complexities of the bankruptcy process, and every situation is unique. It is important that you discuss your specific situation with an experienced bankruptcy lawyer at the firm.
Experienced Guidance from Atlantis Law, LLP
Although bankruptcy is certainly a life-altering event, it doesn't have to be a negative experience. The team at Atlantis Law, LLP is committed to helping clients through the bankruptcy process so that they can achieve fresh starts financially. They are passionate lawyers who work hard to ensure that their clients receive the compassionate and considerate attention they deserve. Contact the team at Atlantis Law, LLP to learn more about the bankruptcy process and your options to pursue freedom from debt.